Tuesday, November 17, 2009

eNgLiSh

There are a few things that are kind of weird that I’ve seen since being here, the most recent of which happened to be something written on a shirt I saw at school the other day. I was in an elementary school, watching Candice teach when I saw a jacket that a little girl wearing. On the back it said, “Playboy makes me happy” and had the playboy bunny next to it. What is that about? I’ve read some pretty crazy things on people’s shirts, with weird English that doesn’t make sense, and sometimes even swear words written all over the shirts. I wonder if they even bother to get the things proof read by someone who speaks English at all before sending it to be printed for all the world to read on the back on some small child. I admit that the grammatically incorrect attempts at English are sometimes highly amusing, but in terms of swear words, since there aren’t really swear words in Japanese, I understand that it might be harder for them to grasp what is actually being conveyed, but still, find someone to look at it who would understand first.

2 comments:

  1. so true, i see so much crap on t-shirts, and it's like what the heck were they trying to say. Of course, advertisements are the worst ones. Why do you need so much english on a Japanese product?

    ReplyDelete