Monday, January 25, 2010

Body Alphabet Game

I have started playing this game in my classes whenever I do the alphabet, or days of the week. I found that the students almost always already knew the alphabet by sight, as well as the song, but they don’t start to write the letters themselves until middle school. So I started doing this as a type of prep for that. I split the class into teams and call 3 students from each team to participate at a time. Then for the alphabet version I call out a letter of the alphabet, and the students have to make that letter, using all 3 people, with their bodies. The fastest 3 to make the letter gets a point for their team. Then, they get stickers for their points or something at the end. For the days of the week version it is the same, except that the kids make the kanji (Chinese characters) for the days of the week after I call one out (Sunday 日, Monday月, Tuesday 火, Wednesday 水, Thursday 木, Friday 金, Saturday 土). The kids especially get creative on Friday because there are more strokes than the others that they have to make. I even had some kids pull off their shoes to use, lol. I don’t have pictures of the days of the week that the students did, but I have pictures of one school doing the alphabet, which are the ones I have posted here.  I made a small album with 2 of the 4th grade classes here with only 9 pictures, have a look.  I especially enjoy the one where the kids make L, and since they had to use all 3 people, the last kid just up and plopped himself on top of the other, lol.  So cute. 

No comments:

Post a Comment