Monday, January 25, 2010

Laziness brought on by Cold

So as some of you already know, I have opted out of using the actual heater in my house, not wanting to pay for it since I hear it is kind of expensive. It’s kind of weird because I actually have money to pay for it now, but I still have the mindset I had at BYU that I can’t spend more money than is necessary. And since I have a kotatsu (coffee table that has a heater thing on the bottom of it, where you put a blanket over the whole thing and sit under the blanket), and it is cheaper to use since it doesn’t have to heat up the whole apartment, but just the small space under the coffee table, I just use that. While I have undoubtedly saved money, it definitely has its downsides as well. Like seeing my breath every night in my apartment, lol. Also, for a while, I didn’t want to get out from under my kotatsu and would just sit huddled in my blankets and be warm there, so my apartment got dirtier and dirtier. All my dishes were dirty, my clothes unwashed, and my fish water was turning a darkish brownish black (and yet the fish lived on). I had piles of random things everywhere, my trash was overflowing, I didn't cook real meals hardly ever (it took far too much time standing in the cold), and I didn't even go into my room to sleep on my futon anymore, lol. I would just stay and fall asleep under my kotatsu. So I was always sore, because that left me sleeping half on the couch, half on the wood floor, and not being able to turn freely in my sleep because the table was too low. Lol. It was shameful. The cold made me lazy, and I was gone for a couple weekends in a row and I do most of my cleaning on the weekends. So I had like 1 plate left that was clean (I stooped to using tupperware as a glass as well as for my cereal), my clothes were running out, my fish lived in filth, my floor had cereal and other food bits scattered on it, my body ached, I would sleep in normal clothes, my nutrition had taken a plunge, and I had bags of trash waiting to be disposed of. Lol.

But don’t worry people. I shaped up. Before I left for Christmas I decided something had to be done, lol. Obviously. It was disgusting. I finally did my dishes, swept and vacuumed my floors, and even vacuumed my couch since I ate my meals there too. I washed the table and stove and stuff, and things felt a lot better. Marisa is actually the one who cleaned out my fish water (props to her especially since she is not the biggest fan of fish). So while they were still living in a plastic mixing bowl (had no idea where to buy an actual fish bowl), at least their water was clean, lol.

Now I have things worked out. I still don’t use my heater, and I still sleep under my kotatsu, but I change into my pajamas before going to sleep, lol, and I have put cushions under it and arranged it so that I have room to turn in my sleep. I got a mat to put by my sink so that my feet don’t freeze off when I do dishes or cook, I got a clear fish bowl so that I could see when the water was getting disgusting, and I whipped out my water heater-upper thing that makes water for drinks super hot (I make hot chocolate and herbal tea mostly so I can warm my hands on the cup while its heat lasts). So now I have a clean apartment, better meals again, and no more aching muscles. Although my neck does kind of hurt right now. But I am not putting that down as a result of my sleeping arrangements. Also, I’ve done my laundry, lol. That is important as well. Although it is a pain since I have no dryer (most people don’t here) and it’s so cold that the clothes just hang wet for days, and you can never really tell if they are still damp, or just really, really cold. I still have the problem of being fa-reezing while I go to and from the shower, but I’m working on that.

2 comments:

  1. I could not picture that kotatsu thing in my head, so I had to google it and I found this pic.

    http://pixdaus.com/pics/yY5JKRtDP5N8Fbybub.jpg

    Is that what you do? :)

    We had to hand wash and hang dry in Ukraine, and our clothes would freeze stiff in the winter. It was pretty funny.

    Maybe we can start a fund for you to be able to turn on your heater. I hate to think of you freezing all the time!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, that is a good picture. Lol, yes, that is very close to what I do.

    ReplyDelete