Sunday, August 16, 2009

Gaijin Moment

So I had a gaijin (foreigner) moment today while I was in Kochi. One of which will almost surely not be that last. I was on the street car/tram and I had a ¥500 coin while my fare only cost ¥190. So I get to my stop and start putting my ticket in where you put money, then after motioning to put my money in the slot I did, and change came out and I took it and started to get off when again I was stopped, lol. That slot was just to get change, not actually to pay. So by now there are at least 5 or 6 people waiting to get off so I hurry and give the guy 2 ¥100 coins and start getting off when I have to be stopped again because I left my ¥10 worth of change. Lol. After all this happened things came back to me from last time in Japan on bus procedure and such, but apparently a little over a year without it is enough to forget. So, the next time, in order to make things run more smoothly so the tram stays on time (the Japanese public transport os ALWAYS EXACTLY on time), I got my change from the change maker before I got to my stop, and put the money and ticket in the right slots. Now paranoia has set in every time I do anything related to transportation tickets. Well, there’s kind of a constant paranoia and stress that comes with wondering if I’m doing something wrong and/or offending someone at any second anyway, so it’s nothing new, but still perhaps a little more of an acute panic attack than the constant worry that looms over you while living here where social norms and etiquette are so different. Perhaps by the time I get a little more comfortable with it it will already be time for me to go home and then I’ll have to adjust to the old way of life again. Or maybe no one ever is truly ever comfortable with living in a different culture no matter how many years. We’ll have to see! So for now, ganbaru. I’ll try my best and hope my gaijin moments decrease with time, lol.

1 comment:

  1. I think most people forgive you. Just like we are patient with foreigners in our lines. Okay, unless we're in a hurry and then we secretly wish bad things. But only in secret.

    ReplyDelete