Monday, August 24, 2009

A Good Day

Today was a good day. (This was actually written a few days ago, just not posted). Not that anything especially exciting happened, just some small things. I got to work and then went with a co-worker to a bunch of the schools I'll be going to. He speaks relatively good English, but still quite a bit in Japanese. So we had kind of a mixed conversation for the 3 hours we were gone from the office and I actually managed to put together what I considered a complex sentence. I felt all proud of myself, lol. Most of the time I get by with simple statements or questions and lots of gestures. So it was raining, and I was driving (uwaa!!), and all these cars were driving all fast and going into the oncoming traffic's lane to pass me when I was already going 10 over the speed limit. So I told him that in America, if it's raining when people are driving, they usually slep down, becuase it's dangerous, but in Japan, it's different and people are still driving so fast. Maybe it still sounds simple, but I was all proud of myself, lol. Also, I met my JTE (Japanese Teacher of English) for the junior high I'll be teaching at and had already met him. We'd danced at Yosakoi together, lol. He was on the team. He had told Marisa and me that this one kind of tree that lined the roads smelled really bad or something and then before we actually went up to the tree and started sniffing it we found out that he was joking. Anyway, while I was there I talked to some students and then introduced myself to some kindergardeners. So nothing big, but I drove for hours on narrow roads that the car barely fir on with a vertical drop into water on one side and a wall of overgrown bushes on another and didn't die, and made a small step towards better Japanese fluency. And I found out that my co-workers are amazed at how much I eat because I don't look it. I didn't think I ate a particularly large amount of food, but I guess they only see me when really good food is around and I'm stuffing my face. Oh, and another good thing that's small but still good, is my last 2 meals have been curry. It took a couple hours and a couple phone calls to figure out how to get my rice cooker to work (all the buttons are in Japanese) but I finally ended up with some rice and could have curry. Gotta love the curry.

2 comments:

  1. At this rate, when you come back you could be a professor at BYU. It's almost been a month and you haven't had any classes yet you put together that huge sentence AND got your rice cooker to work?? You're a genius. I want there to be a dorama about your life so I can watch it. But I guess reading it is okay, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have I told you how brave I think you are? All the stuff you have to do gives me anxiety just thinking about it.

    Don't forget to come home someday. I will not lose you to Asia!

    ReplyDelete