Sunday, August 16, 2009

My Town

So I just discovered that this never actually got posted. SORRY!!! But here is some stuff on my apartment and town that I put together in the first month I was here. So my apartment has some additions like a couch, but it's essentially the same. I’m on the bottom right when looking at the place. You can see my sliding door there. And my laundry hanging out to dry, lol. Also, there is one road that’ll get you there. It’s a 2 way road even though 2 cars definitely can’t fit side by side. As you can probably tell in this picture here. The walk outside my place has a lot of frogs at night so in the morning you can see some of the frogs smashed from the cars on the ground. There's a picture. It's really sad. Then there is a video of my apartment above. I was going to include a video of the walk from my apartment to work (which is kind of long - 7mins) but the video doesn't seem to load. Anyway, towards the end of the walk there is this path that has plants and trees all around where cicadas are always screeching non-stop and I always have a fear that a cicada will leap out and cling to me with its little claws, screeching all the while.
Cicadas can be heard all over the town. I’ve seen a few live ones, and some dead ones on the ground (as seen in the picture), but for the most part they are hidden in the greenery constantly making noise. And they are loud. Outside my back window too where there's the river that runs right behind the bamboo trees. Here’s a video I took of outside my back window while recording the song that plays over the speakers throughout town everyday at 5pm. In the old days, they would have a siren go off at 6am, noon, and 5pm to let the farmers know what time it was. These days they have thankfully foregone the 6am siren. Nowthey only have the siren at noon and have changed the 5pm one to a song. Have a listen.

Now here are some pictures of the different places around town. These first ones are the train station. I go here at least once a week for the 2 hour trip to church every sunday.

This next is Miyata, the supermarket closest to my house that I go to usually for my food.
And last are a couple pictures. The big brick one is the bank next to my work and the other building is my work. Then there is the main road by my house. If you see the orange sign on the left I live like right behind the store that that sign belongs to.

No comments:

Post a Comment